Getting Started with R
- Some helpful tips for beginning to acquire programming skills in R may be found on this introductory website: https://education.rstudio.com/learn/beginner/
- Download and install R studio: https://rstudio.com/products/rstudio/
- The Comprehensive R Archive Network has a wealth of excellent resources and packages for growing your programming skills in R.
Getting Started with Python
- Python’s official website has excellent resources for getting downloading and getting started with programming in Python: https://www.python.org/about/gettingstarted/
- Google Colab offers a comprehensive cloud based juypter notebook that functions like a google doc in your google job. Login with your gmail account or UNCG email and get started here: https://colab.research.google.com/notebooks/intro.ipynb
Getting Started with SAS
- SAS Enterprise Miner, SAS Enterprise Guide, and SAS 9.4 may be accessed through your UNCG mycloud account: https://mycloud.uncg.edu/logon/LogonPoint/tmindex.html
- SAS also offers a wide variety free tutorials to UNCG students. Get started by setting up an account using your UNCG email: https://www.sas.com/en_us/software/viya-for-learners.html
Programming, Statistics and Machine Learning Books:
- R for Data Science by Garrett Grolemund and Hadley Wickham
- Machine Learning with R, 3rd Edition by Brett Lanz
- Machine Learning: The Ultimate Guide to Understand Artificial Intelligence and Big Data Analytics by Mark Graph
- Introduction to Machine Learning with Python by Andreas C. Müller and Sarah Guido
- Python Data Science Handbook by Jake VanderPlas
- Practical Statistics for Data Scientists, 2nd Edition by Peter Bruce, Andrew Bruce, Peter Gedeck
Resources for the K-12 Classroom
Organizations with resources:
- The American Statistical Association provides an extensive list of educational resources and articles for k-12 instruction
- The Census Bureau’s web page has many lessons and educational resources for statistical exploration and analysis.
Introductory classroom materials for data analytics:
- Bootstrap’s data science course is a free resource with 9 units. It contains lesson plans, student workbooks and a Pyret editor for coding practice.
- Data Science Kids Academy has a free online comprehensive introduction to data science course that is suitable for advanced middle school or high school students.
- UCLA’s Introduction to Data Science curriculum give complete lessons and labs for an excellent overview of important principles in programming and statistics.